The Backyard Universe
Stargazing & astronomy experiences
Nature, scenery, geology, food & wine tours
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Ediacaran Skies tour (Flinders Ranges)
See the 2 biggest attractions in the Flinders Ranges: its world‐class geology and fossils beneath our feet, and the awesome dark skies above our heads.
The magnificent Flinders Ranges are one of Australia’s most awe inspiring landscapes ‐ bright and inviting majestic quartzite‐capped peaks during the day, brilliant and enchanting sunsets at day’s end, and absolutely awesome night skies, that make you want to reach up and touch the stars. Join us as we explore the world renowned geology and fossils of the Flinders Ranges by day, and then explore the superb dark skies above our heads at night.
This 4 day/3 night "long weekend" tour will be packed full of interesting activities, including:
- A sound and sight spectacular at the historic Blinman Underground Mine.
- Guided tour of a working woolshed.
- Guided tour of geologically significant Parachilna Gorge (includes some short walks over rough surfaces & outcrops).
- See the debris layer from the Acraman meteorite impact 560 million years ago.
- Enjoy sunset drinks with spectacular views (nibbles & drinks supplied).
- See Ediacaran fossils, evidence of the first large & varied multicellular animals on the planet.
- Explore the awesome night sky with the aid of large computerised telescopes.
- See huge landscapes, and huge paintings of landscapes.
- Some free time, for short walks around our venue. Or just relax and chill out....
Our minibus transports you to and from Adelaide, and on tour throughout the weekend. Pickup locations / times will be arranged individually with each booking to minimise our total driving time. Luggage will be transported in our covered trailer. If you are bringing a delicate item (such as your own telescope) on this tour, please ensure it is well-padded and securely packed.
Accommodation is at Alpana Station, 5km south of Blinman in the Flinders Ranges, in twin share shearers quarters with shared bathroom facilities. You will need to bring your own sleeping bag or bedding, and your own towel. If you do not wish to share your room please book using the single room option. Single bookings who have indicated they're willing to share a room may be paired with someone of the same gender.
We plan to have our dinners at the nearby Blinman Hotel each evening. There is also a fully equipped kitchen and BBQ at our accommodation.
This tour occurs in a remote region far from medical facilities. If you have a known medical condition that might require urgent attention at a hospital, then this tour is not suitable for you. If you need regular medication, please ensure you bring enough to keep you supplied for at least 2 days longer than the tour duration (in case our return to Adelaide is delayed, for example, by flash flooding).
This tour is not intended or designed for young children.
Note -- elements of this tour are being (re)developed. No tour dates are scheduled at this time.