The Backyard Universe
Stargazing & astronomy experiences.
Nature, scenery, geology, food & wine tours.
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services.
Port Elliot stargazing tour (Fleurieu Peninsula)
Held at Basham Beach Regional Park, Port Elliot (location map).
Treat yourself or your family or your group to a truly inspiring and personalised tour of the cosmos.
We do a multicultural tour of the constellations with our laser pointer. We'll then show you the magnificent night sky through our large, powerful telescopes. You'll see stars, clusters, planets, nebulae, galaxies and more with one of Australia's most experienced astronomical guides.
This is a 90 minute guided tour you won't soon forget!
Enter via the Port Elliot Holiday Park's access road, and look for our roadside sign & red flashing lights. Please arrive 5 minutes prior to starting time.
Group pricing applies for 10 or more persons in a single booking. If your group is a school please contact us to discuss customising the tour to your curriculum.
*** If the weather is unfavorable for astronomy, we will contact you and offer either an alternate date or refund ***
What to bring:
- dress warmly (even in summer, it gets cold in the evenings)
- (optional) a small red torch, so you don't destroy your night vision with a white torch
- (optional) a chair to sit on, if you're unaccustomed to standing outdoors for long periods
Where to sleep afterwards:
- The Port Elliot Holiday Park is within walking distance, offering camping, caravan and onsite cabins.
- Victor Harbor, Goolwa and the smaller towns in between them are all only a few minutes drive away. The Victor Harbor Visitor Information Centre and the Goolwa Visitor Information Centre are both open 7 days/week, and they both have lists of the numerous local accommodation providers.
- The centre of Adelaide is about 1.5 hours drive away, at the times we finish our tours. Beware of wandering wildlife and fog on the roads after sunset.
We can also issue Gift Vouchers for these tours.