The Backyard Universe
Stargazing & astronomy experiences
Nature, scenery, geology, food & wine tours
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Rawnsley Park stargazing tour (Flinders Ranges)
Held at Rawnsley Park and at Wilpena Pound (alternating nights) during school holidays.
NOTE: There are no more of these tours scheduled for the remainder of 2018. Try our stargazing tours at Wirrina, McLaren Vale or Port Elliot instead.
Treat yourself or your family or your group to a truly inspiring and personalised tour of the cosmos.
We do a multicultural tour of the constellations with our laser pointer. We'll show you the magnificent night sky through our large, powerful telescopes. You'll see stars, clusters, planets, nebulae, galaxies and more with one of Australia's most experienced astronomical guides.
This is a 90 minute guided tour you won't soon forget!
The Rawnsley tour is held at the Rawnsley Park airstrip carpark (location map). Look for our roadside sign & flashing red light at the turnoff to the airstrip.
Group pricing applies for 10 or more persons in a single booking. If your group is a school please contact us to discuss customising the tour to your curriculum.
*** If the weather is unfavorable for astronomy, we will try to contact you and offer either an alternate date or refund. ***
What to bring:
- dress warmly (even in summer, it gets cold in the evenings)
- (optional) a small red torch, so you don't destroy your night vision with a white torch
- (optional) a chair to sit on, if you're unaccustomed to standing outdoors for long periods
Where to sleep afterwards:
- Rawnsley Park has a licenced restaurant, motel rooms, "glamping" tents; and a caravan park with camping, caravan & cabin accommodation.
- If you are staying somewhere else then PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY AFTER DARK. There can sometimes be HUNDREDS of kangaroos and other wildlife wandering all over the roads at night.
The airstrip carpark is flat, but surfaced with compacted rubble fill. Loose stones may be released by traffic. We block off some of the car park for the tour, but you can park in the rest of it.