The Backyard Universe
Stargazing & astronomy experiences.
Nature, scenery, geology, food & wine tours.
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services.
Rawnsley Park stargazing tour (Flinders Ranges)
Held at Rawnsley Park and at Wilpena Pound (alternating nights) during the spring & autumn school holidays.
Dates for Autumn 2018 are:
Rawnsley -- Apr 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 & 23 all @ 7:30pm
Wilpena -- Apr 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22 & 24 all @ 7:30pm
Dates for Spring 2018 are:
Rawnsley -- Sep 27 & 29, and Oct 1, 3 & 5 all @ 7:30pm; and Oct 7 & 9 @ 8:30pm
Wilpena -- Sep 28 & 30, and Oct 2, 4 & 6 all @ 7:30pm; and Oct 8 @ 8:30pm
Treat yourself or your family or your group to a truly inspiring and personalised tour of the cosmos.
We do a multicultural tour of the constellations with our laser pointer. We'll then show you the magnificent night sky through our large, powerful telescopes. You'll see stars, clusters, planets, nebulae, galaxies and more with one of Australia's most experienced astronomical guides.
This is a 90 minute guided tour you won't soon forget!
The Rawnsley tour is held at the Rawnsley Park airstrip (location map). Look for our roadside sign & flashing red light at the turnoff to the airstrip.
Group pricing applies for 10 or more persons in a single booking. If your group is a school please contact us to discuss customising the tour to your curriculum.
*** If the weather is unfavorable for astronomy, we will try to contact you and offer either an alternate date or refund. ***
What to bring:
- dress warmly (even in summer, it gets cold in the evenings)
- (optional) a small red torch, so you don't destroy your night vision with a white torch
- (optional) a chair to sit on, if you're unaccustomed to standing outdoors for long periods
Where to sleep afterwards:
- Rawnsley Park has a licenced restaurant, motel rooms, "glamping" tents; and a caravan park with camping, caravan & cabin accommodation.
- If you are staying somewhere else then PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY AFTER DARK. There can sometimes be HUNDREDS of kangaroos and other wildlife wandering all over the roads at night.
We can also issue Gift Vouchers for these tours.