The Backyard Universe
Stargazing & astronomy experiences
Nature, scenery, geology, food & wine tours
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Wilpena stargazing tour (Flinders Ranges)
Held at Wilpena Pound and at Rawnsley Park (alternating nights) during the school holidays.
NOTE: There are no more of these tours scheduled for the remainder of 2018. Try our stargazing tours at Wirrina, McLaren Vale or Port Elliot instead.
Treat yourself or your family or your group to a truly inspiring and personalised tour of the cosmos; from inside the Ikara-Flinders Ranges National Park.
We do a multicultural tour of the constellations with our laser pointer. We'll show you the magnificent night sky through our large, powerful telescopes. You'll see stars, clusters, planets, nebulae, galaxies and more with one of Australia's most experienced astronomical guides.
This is a 90 minute guided tour you won't soon forget!
The Wilpena tour is held at the solar power station lookout car park (location map). Look for our roadside sign & flashing red light on the Wilpena Pound road; about 1400 metres (by road) from the visitor centre and a short distance east of a cattle grid. You do not need to be staying at Wilpena to attend.
Group pricing applies for 10 or more persons in a single booking. If your group is a school please contact us to discuss customising the tour to your curriculum.
*** If the weather is unfavorable for astronomy, we will try to contact you and offer either an alternate date or refund. ***
What to bring:
- dress warmly (even in summer, it gets cold in the evenings)
- (optional) a small red torch, so you don't destroy your night vision with a white torch
- (optional) a chair to sit on, if you're unaccustomed to standing outdoors for long periods
Where to sleep afterwards:
- Wilpena Pound Resort has a licenced restaurant, motel accommodation, and a caravan park with camping, caravan, and "glamping" tent accommodation.
- If you're staying somewhere else then PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY AT NIGHT. There can sometimes be HUNDREDS of kangaroos and other wildlife wandering all over the roads.
The tour happens within an almost level compacted gravel car park. We block off some of the car park for the tour, but you can park in the rest of it.
Download our timelapse video of a Wilpena stargazing tour (MP4, 38MB, no audio).