The Backyard Universe
Multicultural night sky & astronomy experiences in South Australia
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Nature, scenery, geology, winery & day tours
Wirrina Cove night sky tour (Fleurieu Peninsula)
Held at the New Terry Resort throughout the year. Book your Wirrina tour now.
Click here for a regional map of our tour locations. Click here for a map of Wirrina Cove.
We do a multicultural tour of the constellations with our laser pointer and telescopes. You'll see stars, clusters, planets, nebulae, galaxies and more with one of Australia's most experienced astronomical guides.
We are one of a handful of astronomy tours anywhere that routinely includes night sky interpretations from non-Western cultures and from southern hemisphere indigenous cultures. Plus the modern textbook interpretations too.
This is a 90 minute guided tour you won't soon forget!
Some comments from previous tour guests:
- I am keen to learn more so will be booking again in the near future. And I will be recommending this experience to as many people as I can. -- Karen, January 2018
- Such a great initiative bringing the glories of the heavens to the average person with fascinating insights, including indigenous perspectives and ancient understandings from a range of cultures. -- Phyll, March 2018
- The skies on the Fleurieu are just amazing. It has changed the way we look at the stars forever. Highly recommended. -- Jo, March 2018
- Thanks for opening our eyes to the skies and traditions of the Southern Hemisphere. -- Javier, April 2018
- A wonderful way to experience the Majestic wonder of the Milky Way and the planets. You need an experienced professional astronomer, a dark cloudless night away from city lights, a really good telescope, and good explanations and commentary. The Background Universe has it all. Highly recommended. Maurice, August 2019
- Thanks again for a brilliant tour on Monday evening. We all thoroughly loved it and have been reflecting on your extensive knowledge and stories ever since. -- Becky, January 2020
- We loved it! -- Nicki, July 2020
If Covid-19 restrictions prevent you from attending our night sky tours, watch our lockdown tour video (13m34s MP4).
We also have an extended version (16m34s MP4) featuring additional behind-the-scenes images.
*** Weather Permitting *** Cloud Forecasts are not reliable more than 1 day in advance.
We will send a message to the mobile phone number you supplied when booking, to tell you if your tour is cancelled or not.
If your tour is cancelled, you will be offered either an alternate date (if possible) or a refund or a conversion to a Gift Voucher.
The Resort is about 90 minutes drive from the centre of Adelaide, about 15 minutes drive from Normanville, and about 20 minutes drive from the Kangaroo Island ferries. Stay overnight at the Resort; or in one of our local caravan parks, Bed & Breakfasts, or holiday rental accommodations. Yankalilla, Normanville, Second Valley and Carrickalinga are all just a few minutes drive away too. And check out some of the other things to see and do nearby while you're here.
Dinner options before your tour include the Resort's restaurant (open from 6pm on Friday and Saturday nights); plus several cafes and takeaways and a couple of pubs in Normanville & Yankalilla.
The tour happens on the Resort's golf course. The 200 metre walking route from reception goes over brick paving, gravel/sand tracks for golf buggies, and mowed grass surfaces. There are no steps but there are gentle slopes. Previous tour groups have included baby strollers & walking frames.
We can also do a tour for your private group. You can also buy Gift Vouchers for night sky tours.