The Backyard Universe
Stargazing & astronomy experiences
Nature, scenery, geology, food & wine tours
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Wirrina Cove stargazing tour (Fleurieu Peninsula)
Held at the New Terry Resort throughout the year. We also offer this tour at McLaren Vale and Port Elliot.
Click here for a regional map of our tour locations. Click here for a map of Wirrina Cove.
We do a multicultural tour of the constellations with our laser pointer. We'll show you the magnificent night sky through our large, powerful telescopes. You'll see stars, clusters, planets, nebulae, galaxies and more with one of Australia's most experienced astronomical guides.
This is a 90 minute guided tour you won't soon forget!
Please arrive at the Resort's reception by 5 minutes prior to starting time. You do not need to be staying at the Resort to attend this tour, but if you're not a Resort guest please use the visitor car park by the golf course.
Group pricing applies for 10 or more persons in a single booking. If your group is a school please contact us to discuss customising the tour to your curriculum.
*** If the weather is unfavorable for astronomy, we will contact you on the day, and offer either an alternate date or refund ***
What to bring:
- dress warmly (even in summer, it gets cold in the evenings).
- (optional) a small red torch, so you don't destroy your night vision with a white torch.
- (optional) a chair to sit on, or a picnic blanket, if you're unaccustomed to standing outdoors for long periods.
Where to sleep afterwards:
- New Terry Resort has a licensed restaurant, a cafe, and motel accommodation.
- The Wirrina Cove Holiday Park has camping, caravan and onsite cabins within walking distance.
- Links Lady Bay has a licensed restaurant, cafe and motel accommodation about 10 minutes drive away.
- The nearby towns of Normanville, Carrickalinga, Yankalilla and Second Valley contain numerous holiday rental apartments/houses, caravan parks, and Bed & Breakfast accommodations. The Fleurieu Coast Visitor Centre is open 7 days/week and has a complete list.
- The centre of Adelaide is about 1.5 hours drive, at the times we finish our tours. Beware of wandering wildlife and fog on the roads after sunset.
- The Kangaroo Island ferries at Cape Jervis are less than 30 minutes drive away.
The tour happens on the Resort's golf course. The 200 metre walking route from reception goes over brick paving, gravel/sand tracks for golf buggies, and mowed grass surfaces. There are no steps but there are gentle slopes. Previous tour groups have included baby strollers & walking frames.
We also offer Gift Vouchers for these tours.
Download our Public tour schedule for Oct 2018 to March 2019.