The Backyard Universe
Multicultural stargazing & astronomy experiences in South Australia
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Nature, scenery, geology, winery & day tours
Wirrina Cove night sky tour (Fleurieu Peninsula)
Held at the BreakFree Wirrina Cove resort (previously known as New Terry) throughout the year. Book your Wirrina night sky tour now.
Click here for a regional map of our tour locations. Click here for a map of Wirrina Cove. Or click here for a Google Maps link.
A 90 minute multicultural guided tour of South Australia's night sky with laser pointer and large telescope on the Wirrina Cove golf course. Enjoy an evening of traditional stargazing and modern astronomy in a small group tour with an experienced local guide. Experience a night sky that's practically as dark as the Outback but much closer to Adelaide.
We are one of a handful of astronomy tours anywhere that routinely includes night sky interpretations from non-Western cultures and from southern hemisphere indigenous cultures. Plus the modern textbook interpretations too.
Some comments from previous tour guests:
- Thanks again for a brilliant tour on Monday evening. We all thoroughly loved it and have been reflecting on your extensive knowledge and stories ever since. -- Becky, January 2020
- We loved it! -- Nicki, July 2020
- "It was a great night!!" -- Blair, April 2021
- "It was one of the most amazing experiences I'd ever had! Would highly recommend!" -- Olga, April 2021
- “Was a great night, very interesting.[stars. nebulas, galaxies} and a bonus saw 4 shooting meteors entering our atmosphere. 5 star rating” -- Andrew, May 2021
- "5/5 Brilliant with a lot of explanation.” -- Peter, May 2021
- Truly revealing to see the stars through both the eyes of different Aboriginal peoples and cultures around the world through history! Much much more than just stargazing - a great cultural experience. -- Karen, June 2021
*** Weather Permitting *** Cloud Forecasts are not reliable more than 1 day in advance.
We will send a message to the mobile phone number you supplied when booking, to tell you if your tour is cancelled or not.
If your tour is cancelled, you will be offered either an alternate date (if possible) or a refund or a conversion to a Gift Voucher.
The tour location is about 90 minutes drive from the centre of Adelaide, about 15 minutes from Normanville, about 20 minutes from the Kangaroo Island ferries, about 45 minutes from Victor Harbor (via Yankalilla), and about 60 minutes from McLaren Vale. Stay overnight at the Wirrina Cove resort. Or stay in one of the local caravan parks, Bed & Breakfasts, or other holiday accommodations. Yankalilla, Normanville, Second Valley and Carrickalinga are all just a few minutes drive away. And check out some of the other things to see and do nearby while you're here.
We recommend using your own car (or a rental car) to travel to Wirrina Cove from Adelaide, McLaren Vale or Victor Harbor. This will be much cheaper for you than travelling in our minibus, or hiring a taxi.
Dinner options before your tour include the Resort's restaurant (open from 6pm on some nights); plus several cafes and takeaways and a couple of pubs in Normanville & Yankalilla.
The tour happens on the Resort's golf course. The 200 metre walking route from reception goes over brick paving, gravel/sand tracks for golf buggies, and mowed grass surfaces. There are no steps but there are gentle slopes. Previous tour groups have included baby strollers & walking frames.
Click or tap on photos for a bigger version.