The Backyard Universe
Stargazing & astronomy experiences
Nature, scenery, geology, food & wine tours
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Wirrina Cove stargazing tour (Fleurieu Peninsula)
Held at Wirrina Cove Resort on most Saturdays and some weekdays throughout the year.
Treat yourself or your family or your group to a truly inspiring and personalised tour of the cosmos.
We do a multicultural tour of the constellations with our laser pointer. We'll show you the magnificent night sky through our large, powerful telescopes. You'll see stars, clusters, planets, nebulae, galaxies and more with one of Australia's most experienced astronomical guides.
This is a 90 minute guided tour you won't soon forget!
Please arrive at Wirrina Cove Resort's reception (location map) by 5 minutes prior to starting time. You do not need to be staying at the Resort to attend this tour, but if you're not a Resort guest please use the visitor car park by the golf course.
Group pricing applies for 10 or more persons in a single booking. If your group is a school please contact us to discuss customising the tour to your curriculum.. We may also be able to do the Wirrina tour for groups on other non-scheduled dates, by prior arrangement.
*** If the weather is unfavorable for astronomy, we will contact you and offer either an alternate date or refund ***
What to bring:
- dress warmly (even in summer, it gets cold in the evenings)
- (optional) a small red torch, so you don't destroy your night vision with a white torch
- (optional) a chair to sit on, or a picnic blanket, if you're unaccustomed to standing outdoors for long periods
Where to sleep afterwards:
- Wirrina Cove Resort has a licenced restaurant and motel accommodation.
- The nearby Wirrina Cove Holiday Park has camping, caravan and onsite cabins.
- The nearby towns of Normanville, Carrickalinga & Yankalilla contain numerous holiday rental apartments/houses, caravan parks, and Bed & Breakfast accommodations. The Fleurieu Coast Visitor Centre is open 7 days/week and has a complete list.
- The centre of Adelaide is about 1.5 hours drive, at the times we finish our tours. Beware of wandering wildlife and fog on the roads after sunset.
- The Kangaroo Island ferries at Cape Jervis are less than 30 minutes drive away.
The tour happens on the Resort's golf course on a mowed grass surface. The 200 metre walking route from reception goes over brick paving, gravel tracks for golf buggies, and mowed grass surfaces. There are no steps but there are gentle slopes.
We also offer Gift Vouchers for these tours.
Download our Public tour schedule for Oct 2018 to March 2019.