The Backyard Universe
Multicultural stargazing & astronomy experiences in South Australia
Heysen Trail & Fleurieu Peninsula shuttle bus services
Nature, scenery, geology, winery & day tours
Night sky tours at other locations, dates or times, and special events
Additional tour dates or times at Wirrina Cove can usually be arranged by us with a couple of weeks notice. The golf course doesn't get used much at night, but may occasionally be unavailable for various reasons.
Some of the "gaps" in our tour calendar are due to Full Moons. We don't recommend picking a tour date with a bright moon because its light blots out almost everything else.
We can also do, subject to our availability:
- Private group night sky tours at your venue, including Bed and Breakfasts, hotels and holiday rentals. If you're a larger group we can divide you across two or more sessions, or do a shortened version of our tour.
- Tours for your school group or camp. We can customise to ACARA requirements.
- Daytime or cloudy night presentations at your venue.
- Combined tourism events or packages with your tourism business.
- Activities or presentations as part of a larger event.
- Isn't overshadowed by buildings or large trees.
- Isn't afflicted by outdoor lighting that cannot be turned off. Including any motion-activated lighting.
- Has an unobstructed view of the sky, especially to the south.
- We can drive onto with our car. Telescopes are heavy, we don't want to carry them a long way!
- Doesn't have any tripping or falling hazards, wandering livestock, manure blobs, soft/slippery surfaces, steep slopes, or passing traffic.
- Won't be sprayed by an irrigation system while we're there.
- Isn't close to any neighbours who may be trying to sleep during our tour.
- Is more than 5km from the nearest part of any commercial airport runway that is routinely used at night. We're not allowed to use laser pointers near commercial airports.
- Isn't subject to a lock-out or curfew time before we can finish packing up after tour.
Contact us to arrange the details including specific pricing. A contract and regular invoicing may be appropriate for regular work at a venue.
- South Australian government Working With Children & Vulnerable Persons clearances, which include National Police Clearances.
- First Aid training. In remote regions we also travel with our satellite phone and additional First Aid kit items.
- Risk Assessment documentation.
- Sustainable Quality Tourism accreditation from the Australian Tourism Industry Council.
- Tour Operator Permit for many South Australian national parks and conservation parks.